What’s in store for DNA Day 2020? The lowest sale prices on DNA test kits of the year!
Well National DNA Day is here so get ready for an amazing sales campaign by the major DNA testing companies! Here are the CURRENT DNA Day Promotions . . . many end on Sunday, April 26th, 2020 so don’t delay!
- NEW! 23andMe: Save BIG on 23andMe DNA test kits plus FREE SHIPPING! Right now you can save $10 on the 23andMe Ancestry + Traits DNA test kit (regularly $99, now just $89!) and save $50 on 23andMe Health + Ancestry DNA test kit (regularly $199, now just $149!). Plus Amazon Prime members get FREE SHIPPING! VIEW DETAILS
FamilyTreeDNA: Save $30 to $70 at FamilyTreeDNA and discover more about your ancestry during the DNA Day Sale through Sunday, April 26th, 2020. Discover more about your ancestry and connect with relatives. VIEW DETAILS
- The Family Finder DNA test kit, similar to the autosomal DNA test kit at 23andMe and AncestryDNA, regularly $79, is now just $49! VIEW DETAILS
- Y-37 Test *: Tests 37 markers. Explore your paternal lineage and follow the ancient migration path of your male ancestors. Regularly $119, now just $99! Save $20! VIEW DETAILS
- Y-111 Test *: Tests 111 markers. Explore your paternal lineage and follow the ancient migration path of your male ancestors. Regularly $249, now just $199! Save $50! VIEW DETAILS
- Big Y-700 Test *: Big Y-700, intended for expert users, is our most advanced Y-DNA test. It analyzes ~100k SNPs and up to 700 short tandem repeats (STRs). Regularly $449, now just $379! Save $70! VIEW DETAILS
- mt Full Sequence: Examines all regions of mitochondrial DNA, identifies basic haplogroup and migration paths and you get more refined results for genealogical purposes. Regularly $169, now just $139! Save $30! VIEW DETAILS
- Family Finder + Y-37 Test Bundle*: Male-specific bundle includes Family Finder plus our Y-chromosome test that analyzes 37 markers. Regularly $198, now just $139! Save $59! VIEW DETAILS
- Family Finder + mtFull Sequence: Family Finder plus a Full Mitochondrial Sequence – For both males and females, our mtDNA test traces your maternal line. Regularly $238, now just $179! Save $59! VIEW DETAILS
- Family Finder + Y-111 + mtFull Sequence Test Bundle*: This Comprehensive Genome (male-specific) test includes Family Finder, our 111 marker Y-DNA test plus a Full Mitochondrial Sequence, the most comprehensive and highest resolution mtDNA test available. Results identify the ethnic and geographic origins of your paternal and maternal lines. Regularly $487, now just $369! Save $118! VIEW DETAILS
* Denotes male specific tests
And if you’ve already tested with FamilyTreeDNA and would like to upgrade your test, click HERE to see the various discounts on upgrades.
- NEW! Living DNA: Save up to 30% plus get FREE SHIPPING during the Living DNA DNA Day Sale! A simple mouth swab is all that is needed to start exploring the world of your DNA, looking at ancestry, fitness, nutrition and more. And now at Living DNA, you can save up to 30% on a variety of different tests . . . with prices starting as low as $49! VIEW DETAILS
- MyHeritage DNA: Save 50% on MyHeritage DNA during the MyHeritage Stay at Home Sale! Get the MyHeritage DNA Ancestry-Only test kit for just $49! This is the same autosomal DNA test kit as AncestryDNA and other major DNA vendors! BONUS! Purchase 2 or more MyHeritage DNA test kits and standard shipping is FREE! Sale good through Thursday, April 30th. VIEW DETAILS
- MyHeritage DNA: Save 50% on MyHeritage DNA Health + Ancestry DNA test kit during the MyHeritage Stay at Home Sale! “MyHeritage DNA Health+Ancestry gives you all the features of a MyHeritage DNA Ancestry-Only test, and adds a whole new dimension with insights into your genetic risk for developing certain conditions. Explore your ethnic origins, find new relatives, and gain valuable health insights to empower you and your family. MyHeritage DNA is proud to be enhancing the lives of people around the world.” Regularly $199, now just $99! Sale valid through Thursday, April 30th, 2020. VIEW DETAILS
Get FREE SHIPPING on DNA Test Kits at Amazon!
Enter the DNA Day Giveaway at GenealogyBargains.com!
- Genealogy Bargains: Enter the DNA Day Giveaway this week and you could win an amazing prize! Prizes include a MyHeritage DNA Ancestry test kit, a MyHeritage DNA Health + Ancestry test kit, and a $100 Amazon Gift Card! We’ll select three (3) winners on Monday morning, April 27th and announce the winner over at our Facebook page. You could win this amazing prize if you enter by 11:59 pm Central on Sunday, April 26th, 2020. Click HERE to enter!
Save on DNA Education during National DNA Day
You can also find a variety of DNA educational items include webinars, digital downloads and books available at steep discounts during National DNA Day!
- DNA Boot Camp: Save 50% on ALL DIGITAL DOWNLOADS! Right now I’m staying at home due to COVID-19/Coronavirus and spending time to review my recent DNA test results. If it has been awhile since you worked with DNA data, maybe it’s time to up your DNA education and get the MOST out of your DNA test results. You can save 50% on ALL DIGITAL DOWNLOADS now EXTENDED through April 30th, 2020! Just use promo code SAVE50 at checkout! Take advantage of this sale to stock up on DNA education covering AncestryDNA, 23andMe, and more!
Save 50% off the regular price of $25.99 USD . . . you pay just $13.00 each! Save even MORE with the DNA Boot Camp Bundle . . . regularly $199, now just $99.50! Use promo code SAVE50 at checkout to claim your savings! VIEW DETAILS
“What DNA Test Should I Take?” Here’s My Advice . . .
I am a firm believer in being an informed DNA consumer and that knowledge is power. That is why I have done a DNA test with each of the Big 5 DNA testing companies. Here are some tips:
- Determine your goals and treat DNA testing seriously. Remember, this is not some parlor game like a Ouija Board. Finding out your ethnic makeup does not mean you are “done” with your family history.
- An autosomal DNA test is the most common DNA test kit on the market currently and tests for DNA inherited from both of your parents. The test results will also include random DNA inherited from your grandparents, great-grandparents, etc. Autosomal tests are a good starting point for anyone who has not yet taken a DNA test.
- Other factors influencing which DNA test to use as well as which DNA testing company is best for your needs include: the age of the person being tested; whether the person being tested is on antibiotics, going through chemotherapy, or has had a recent organ transplant; and more.
Click HERE to download the FREE DNA Buying Guide filled with over 54 pages of useful information on DNA testing including a Resource List with over 100 tools and sites to help you get the most out of your DNA testing experience.
- PRICE DROP! Amazon: Save up to 33% on The DNA Guide for Adoptees: How to use genealogy and genetics to uncover your roots, connect with your biological family, and better understand your medical history by Brianne Kirkpatrick and Shannon Combs-Bennett. Print version, regularly $24.99, now just $19.99! Amazon Kindle version, regularly $14.99, now just $9.99! VIEW DETAILS
DNA Scams On The Rise: Buyer Beware!
As personal DNA testing increases in popularity and there is also an increased focus from media on the topic of DNA and genealogy, you can bet that the opportunists looking to make quick money will come out of the woodwork! Here are some tips on how to avoid scams and how to get the most for your DNA testing dollars:
- Always stick with the Big 5 DNA testing companies if you want to use DNA test data for genealogy and family history research. Beware of “fly by night” companies that you’ve never heard of or that don’t provide a way to match and connect with other DNA testers on their site.
- Also, watch out for super low prices such as $29 for a DNA testing kit. Many of these tests are only for the DNA collection materials (spit or swab) and then you are required to pay extra to actually get your results! Remember, I predict that the lowest price we’ll see during National DNA Day is $39 USD for a basic autosomal DNA test (and that won’t include shipping)!
- Any reputable DNA testing vendor will provide an easy way for you to download the raw DNA data and let you keep it to use at other sites.
- Avoid DNA tests that say they can prove Cherokee or other Native American ancestry. There is no such technology or DNA test available at this point in time.
- In addition, remember, when it comes to DNA products and services, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!
What about DNA Privacy? What You Should Know BEFORE You Take a DNA Test
We live in a curious and precarious time in terms of privacy. Due to technology making huge improvements in our everyday lives, we are more willing to give out our data in order to save time or provide convenience. This is more true with the Millennial generation as opposed to my Baby Boomer generation. Boomers tend to be more hesitant to share info about ourselves to the point whereby some won’t even take a DNA test.
Here’s a common sense approach to DNA privacy:
- Make sure you download your DNA test data once notified of your results and make sure it is backed up with all of your other computer data.
- Do DNA testing companies sell your DNA test data to other companies? The answer, right now, is a “qualified” YES. AncestryDNA, for example, works with Calico, “a company focused on longevity research and therapeutics” (according to a recent Ancestry press release) and provides DNA “metadata” gathered from its over 8 million DNA test subjects. Privacy is a double-edged sword when it comes to DNA: we want to know more about our ethnicity and our health issues, but we can’t reap the benefits of this knowledge without sharing the data with individuals as well as other companies and providers.
- If you “port” or use your DNA test results on other websites such as GEDmatch or Promethease, make sure you understand each sites’ privacy mechanisms and what other users can see in terms of your profile as well as your data.
- Check to see if a DNA testing vendor retains your DNA sample or destroys the sample after testing. On the plus side, storing samples allows you to upgrade to additional tests or reports; on the minus side, how secure is your sample?
©2020, copyright Thomas MacEntee. All rights reserved.